Make Your Own Bubbles
This lesson developed by Leona
Can I make my own bubble mixture?
What are bubbles?
What You Need
- Liquid dish soap
- Bottle of glycerine (you can buy it at a drug store)
- Mixing bowl
- Jar with lid
- Thin wire
- Measuring cup
- Measuring spoons
What You Do
- Pour 1 cup of liquid dish soap into the mixing bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon of water and 1 tablespoon of glycerine.
- Use your spoon to mix these ingredients up together.
- Take a piece of wire and bend it into a bubble loop.
- Dip the round hole of the bubble loop into the mixture.
- Pull it out and softly blow- can you make bubbles?
- When done, you can put your bubble mixture into a closed container
to have fun with later on.
What Is Happening
Bubbles are a film of liquid the totally surrounds gas or air. Check out how bubbles gorw and move. Can you see how the bubble film reflects light? What kinds of colors do you see in your bubble? What happens to a bubble just before it pops?
Bubbles are neat. When you make pancake batter, you mix up the batter and air gets into it making little air bubbles. When you fry the pancakes, do you see little bubbles form?
Bubbles are used when we make many different things, too. Bubbles are part of the process to make soda, foam rubber, plastics, and even chocolate!